Re: postgresql book - practical or something newer? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Erik Jones
Subject Re: postgresql book - practical or something newer?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Feb 5, 2008, at 11:02 PM, Guy Rouillier wrote:

> Greg Smith wrote:
>> On Mon, 4 Feb 2008, Dave Page wrote:
>>> We intentionally have not done that as we wanted to ensure that all
>>> documentation published under postgresql.org was appropriately
>>> moderated first.
>> OK, so hosting a probably inaccurate in many ways (at first)
>> community documentation project wiki is inappropriate for a
>> postgresql.org page; completely understandable.  That "moderated
>> first" thing is part of the problem with using Techdocs I already
>> mentioned.
>> Can anyone think of another place a community docs wiki could go at?
>
> I definitely think it should go on the official PostgreSQL site
> somewhere - that's where the community is.  The documentation page
> already lists versions of the official docs "with comments".  Isn't
> this  an expansion of that?  Anyone with a community account is
> free to post a comment.
>
> If all those comments are moderated, then I'd suggest either adding
> a "Community Version" directly on that page, or adding one to the
> community page off of Techdocs.

Something along those lines has already been suggested and the
problem there is that comments in the reference manual are not the
appropriate place for howtos, beginner's tutorials and the like.  A
public wiki, possibly with a couple volunteer editors to make sure
that nothing blatantly wrong stays up for long, pretty much exactly
fits the bill.  I, for one, don't want to see the manual turn into
something like the php manual in that the manual should have nothing
but the facts without any chance of misinformation being included there.

Erik Jones

DBA | Emma®
erik@myemma.com
800.595.4401 or 615.292.5888