Re: PostgreSQL.Org (was: PostgreSQL Conference Fal l 2007) - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: PostgreSQL.Org (was: PostgreSQL Conference Fal l 2007)
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Aug 31, 2007, at 9:03 AM, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 31, 2007 at 08:53:06AM +0100, Dave Page wrote:
>>
>> So you'd be happy for *anyone* to organise an event and advertise
>> it as
>> an official PGDG event?
>
> I think my point was rather that "official" events do not, AFAICT,
> exist.  There's nobody to make them official.  (This is very similar,
> for instance, to "compliance" with RFCs from the IETF: there are no
> protocol police, and there's nobody to certify that anyone "complies"
> with this or that IETF document.)
>
> Consider that there are already companies claiming to do training in
> PostgreSQL who appear to be recommending things that I think are in
> fact bad ideas.  Are they illegitimate?  Hard to know, and even
> harder to do anything about.

And those companies should be made aware of any issues with their
training material, though perhaps a public forum isn't the best way
to do that.

Having been neck-deep in the creation of training material, it's
certainly not hard for errors to creep in, or for important things to
be left out.
--
Decibel!, aka Jim Nasby                        decibel@decibel.org