Re: Native Win32 port - PLEASE! - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dann Corbit
Subject Re: Native Win32 port - PLEASE!
Date
List pgsql-general

"Hurry because it will hurt someone." is a silly reason to push for
something.

Far better is "Hurry because it will benefit someone."

IMO-YMMV.

> Many vendors (including the one I work for) would be very
> very very interested in looking at PostgreSQL as an
> alternative BUT it NEEDS to run natively on Windows (not via Cygwin)
>
> If it did, I can see real inroads being made into 'mindspace'
> here and a huge increase in PostgreSQL usage - it would
> become ubiquitous as a 21st century database - and porting to
> Win32 therefore helps, not hinders, the open source movement.
>
> So can I quietly beg the Win32 group to expedite this port. I
> believe you will be utterly astonished at the demand. Please.....

It's already almost there.  Since it is an open source project, you can
always help if you want.
You can download it and build it yourself with Mingw if you want to play
with what is available now.