Re: Views, views, views! (long) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dann Corbit
Subject Re: Views, views, views! (long)
Date
List pgsql-hackers

It is supposed to be part of the default user path for all users of the database.

> > 2.  Almost all of the information that cannot fit will be useful to
> > other database systems as well, and should be suggested to the ANSI/ISO
> > committee.  Since INFORMATION_SCHEMA is a very new idea (only two
> > adopters that I know of so far) I expect it will need to grow and
> > PostgreSQL could be one of the contributors.  Whether the enhancements
> > are accepted or not, it would be good to at least attempt to get them
> > noticed.
>
> I like that idea, actually.
>
> However, there's not a whelk's chance in a supernova of our suggestions
> getting read, let alone accepted.  But we could make the effort.  You
> volunteering?

It's probably like ANSI/ISO C and C++ committees -- they only listen if you actually show up to the meetings.  I doubt
ifI could pay to go and attend in person.  Maybe some of the Redhat people can, since they maintain the Redhat
database.

For sure, if the DB/2 or Oracle or MS or ... people hear about it and see that it is a good idea, they will push for it
also. Otherwise, the competitors who adopt it will have a competitive advantage.