Re: Views, views, views! (long) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Views, views, views! (long)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Dann,

> 1.  There is not a whole lot of stuff that cannot be directly stored in
> the INFORMATION_SCHEMA location without modifying it.

See Andrew's post.  There is a whole lot of stuff not covered by I_S in a way
that is useful to PGSQL users.  Also this would require making
information_schema part of the default user path.

> 2.  Almost all of the information that cannot fit will be useful to
> other database systems as well, and should be suggested to the ANSI/ISO
> committee.  Since INFORMATION_SCHEMA is a very new idea (only two
> adopters that I know of so far) I expect it will need to grow and
> PostgreSQL could be one of the contributors.  Whether the enhancements
> are accepted or not, it would be good to at least attempt to get them
> noticed.

I like that idea, actually.

However, there's not a whelk's chance in a supernova of our suggestions
getting read, let alone accepted.  But we could make the effort.  You
volunteering?

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus