RE: Ideal hardware configuration for pgsql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Willis, Ian (Ento, Canberra)
Subject RE: Ideal hardware configuration for pgsql
Date
List pgsql-general
I would make sure that an intel box won't suit before looking at sun. Simply
for cost and if you're planning to run linux on it sun support will be shit
because they don't have skills in that area.
Databases thrive on more spindles, separate system spindles from the db
spindles and swap spindles, look at separating index tables from data tables
and the WAL.
Raid 3 or striping may be more suitable for the WAL (what happens if you
loose the WAL?) whereas raid 5 or a combination for 1/5 for data and
indexes. The chunk size on a raid set may also be worth pursuing as a means
of squeezing better performance from a dedicated db machine.

--
Ian Willis
Systems Administrator