RE: [INTERFACES] Need an example - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Jackson, DeJuan
Subject RE: [INTERFACES] Need an example
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
> Hello,
>
>  The problem is the following one: I have PGSQL installed in a server RH
>  6.0. I want to build dynamic HTML that can be connected with my
>  databases. I don't have a lot of experience in this topic, but I know
>  that this can be achieved using the tools that are executed in the
>  server (CGI) or those that are executed in the browser (JavaScript or
>  VBScript). The server of Apache Web this modernized with the Services of
>  Extensions of the FrontPage 98. Therefore for the maintenance of the web
>  site the FrontPage Explorer is used. That you would recommend me for
>  this case?
>
>  Thanks in advance,
>
> Adolfo Diaz
> It's sounds like you're looking for an ASP type solution.  I've
never implemented ASP on a Unix platform. and I doubt it is a good idea.
Look at http://www.php.net/  -  an amalgam of Perl, C, Java (easy
learning curve)PHP is a scripting language.  It compiles as an Apache module.  This
is important because it allows you to get away from the startup overhead of
CGI, while still allowing the robustness of a true language and placing the
code where it relates in the HTML if you desire.  It also has support for
native PostgreSQL API.
Look at http://www.perl.com/  -  Perl (need I say more)There is also a Apache module version of Perl coupled with
EmbedPerl
and you've got an in your HTML scripting language, with most of the same
strengths as PHP.  The biggest win that PHP has over Perl is a smaller
memory footprint, second would be that PHP is easier to learn, but Perl has
a very good support base (means more stuff to play with).  There's not a
support for the native PostgreSQL API but there's a pure Perl drive that has
been written and a DBI module.
Look at http://www.zope.com/  - Python based Zope also supports the native PostgreSQL API.  I haven't used it but
it might serve you purposes.
Look at http://www.aolserver.com/  - TCL (AOL Server would replace
Apache)AOL Server is a threaded web server that has support for the native
PostgreSQL API.  It also has a TCL scripting.
I'd look at those solutions, If CGI is the way you want to go do it
in Perl or C.  But I really don't think it's possible to connect to
PostgreSQL via JavaScript.  As Peter said there's big difference between
JavaScript and Java.
Hope this helps,    DEJ