Re: PostgreSQL 12 Press Release - First Draft - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Basil Bourque
Subject Re: PostgreSQL 12 Press Release - First Draft
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
———

“OSCon” should be “OSCON”, all uppercase.

Source: https://conferences.oreilly.com/oscon/oscon-or

———

I would make two sentences of this:

>PostgreSQL 12 also improves the performance of
adding data to partitioned tables with "INSERT" and "COPY", and a new partition
can now be attached to a table without blocking queries.

…to this:

>PostgreSQL 12 also improves the performance of
adding data to partitioned tables with "INSERT" and “COPY”. And a new partition
can now be attached to a table without blocking queries.

———

Shorten:

>PostgreSQL 12 introduces the ability to run queries over JSON documents using
JSON path expressions defined in the SQL/JSON standard. Additionally, certain
JSON path expressions can utilize the existing indexing mechanisms for documents
stored in the JSONB format to efficiently retrieve data.

…to this:

>PostgreSQL 12 introduces the ability to run queries over JSON documents using
JSON path expressions defined in the SQL/JSON standard. Such queries may utilize
the existing indexing mechanisms for documents stored in the JSONB format to
efficiently retrieve data.

———

I would mention the SQL standard here (SQL:2003 as I recall). And drop the words “also” and “only". So this:

>PostgreSQL 12 also introduces generated columns, which is a type of column that
can be computed its value from other columns in the same table. Currently,
PostgreSQL only supports "stored generated columns," where the computed value is
stored on the disk.

…becomes:

>PostgreSQL 12 introduces "generated columns”. Defined in the SQL standard, this type of column computes its value from
thevalues of other columns in the same table. Currently,
PostgreSQL supports "stored generated columns," where the computed value is
stored on the disk.

———

Your document looks good to me as-is. My only addition would be something about Just-In-Time (JIT) compiling and use of
LLVMbecause:

 (a) JIT & LLVM are high-tech items that may catch the attention of some. So, good PR.
 (b) The feature provide significant improvements in performance to some.

Something like (caveat, I am not an expert here):

>Through the use of LLVM compiler technology, PostgreSQL 12 now enables by default the Just-In-Time (JIT) compiling of
generatedcode. Longer-running CPU-intensive queries can see significant performance improvements.

—Basil Bourque