I'd like to discuss scaleout at PGCon - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From MauMau
Subject I'd like to discuss scaleout at PGCon
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hello,

I'm going to attend PGCon in Ottawa for the first time.  I am happy if
I can meet you.

Because I'm visually impaired, I only have vision to sense light.  If
you see a Japanese man with a height of 171 cm with a white cane, it's
probably me.  I'd be happy if you talk to me.  But as I'm still far
from good at listening and speaking English, I'm sorry if I take an
unfriendly attitude or if I can not keep on talking for a long time.

I'd like to have a session on scaleout design at the unconference.
I've created a wiki page for that (this is still just a memo; I'd like
to populate this page with you as the discussion in the community
progresses).  I'd appreciate it if someone could stand with me and
facilitate the discussion at the unconference.

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Scaleout_Design

The background is ... our company is faced with an immediate need to
develop the read-write scaleout feature on PostgreSQL.  We tried
Postgres-XL with much hope, but we found it difficult to achieve our
performance goal.  I will tell you the details at the conference.  But
personally, Postgres-XL seems to be very nice software, and I feel
that good parts of it should be integrated into core.

I know that many great hackers from 2ndQuadrant, EnterpriseDB, NTT,
Postgres Professional, CitusData, and so on are addressing this
difficult scaleout feature.  I don't think yet we are competent to
lead this development.

On the other hand, we have a proprietary RDBMS called Symfoware (I'm
sure you don't know it), which is not based on PostgreSQL, that
provides the scaleout feature.  Its architecture is a mix of shared
nothing and shared everything.  It implements deadlock detection and
resolution without a central node or periodic monitoring, parallel 2PC
across nodes, parallel crash recovery, client connection routing and
failover without any overhead of intermediary middleware during SQL
execution, etc.  So we may be able to help in some way.  I'd be happy
if we could help the community to proceed with development of
scaleout.

If you have a session for scaleout outside the unconference, could you
call me and let me join it?

By the way, the popularity score of PostgreSQL finally exceeded 400
points in the DB-Engines ranking!  The popularity difference with the
top products has shrunk greatly.  Let's make PostgreSQL more popular.

https://db-engines.com/en/ranking

    [as of May 27, 2018]
    Oracle=1290.42  MySQL=1223.34  SQL Server=1085.84
    PostgreSQL=400.90  MongoDB=342.11
    (Oracle / PostgreSQL ratio is 3.2)

    [as of Feb 2016, according to a memo at hand]
    Oracle=1476.14  MySQL=1321.13  SQL Server=??
    MongoDB=??  PostgreSQL=288.66
    (Oracle / PostgreSQL ratio is 5.1)

Regards
MauMau