Re: Introduction - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris Angelico
Subject Re: Introduction
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 6:02 AM, Corbett, James
<James.Corbett@cra-arc.gc.ca> wrote:
> For those twenty years as a developer I should say that I have been
> completely blind, relying upon a screen review application known as JAWS and
> a Braille display.
>
> I’m looking forward to being part of this list.

Welcome! One thing I'm very happy with in today's world, as improved
on (say) two decades ago, is the way that computers have become
accessible to more people; back in the 90s, I was playing with some of
the speech navigation / speech synthesis tools that were available
then, and they seemed more like toys than anything truly usable. Sure,
you could get around without seeing the screen, but it was a struggle.
Today, legally or completely blind people can even play text
roleplaying games, thanks to years of smart development work.

You're now using what is, in my opinion, the best database engine in
the world. And it's language-agnostic, so you can happily use Java for
some things, Python for others, Pike if you've ever heard of it, and
even PHP if you're sadistic enough. I love it.

ChrisA