Re: minimum hardware requirements for small postgres db - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Paul Smith
Subject Re: minimum hardware requirements for small postgres db
Date
Re: minimum hardware requirements for small postgres db
Re: minimum hardware requirements for small postgres db
List pgsql-novice
Thanks for your advice.  It is very interesting you were able to run pg on a SD card in a RasPi !    In addition to Wolgang's last reply, that confirms I was misinformed last year when I originally settled on pg as my 1st choice, hsqldb being 2nd choice, but then rejected pg in favour of hsqldb, as told the former needs stronger hw than I use.

Regarding yours and Gavin's recommendation I change to Linux, I have made such an investment in Windows ever since it overlayed DOS, use so many Windows dependant programs, it would be a major investment in time to start again in Linux.

I have monitored the progress of Linux, particularly Ubuntu over the decades, and sadly have always found some reason not to change.  I stopped using big desktops years ago due to travel needs, and read a big problem using Linux on new laptops/nettops was lack of Driver support from manufacturers ... causing lots of headaches.  Recently, I read the change of 'Desktop' to Unity needs maturing. I do realise open-source encourages healthy creativity, and so diversity, but just the other week I read 'fragmentation' of Linux into so many flavours causes big problems supporting Apps.

Another reason your mention of pg on RasPi was so interesting, is I am thinking to buy something smaller than a Nettop, to use primarily as a media-streamer to TV, but also be a 'backup computer'  in case my Nettop breaks - as it just has.  The choice on ARM hw has to be Linux or the Android fork. If ARM, I was thinking of the Tegra3 based OUYA, unless a T4 or other faster SoC alternative becomes available.  So following the news on development of Ubuntu for ARM devices with interest.

So as per my last post to Wolfgang, I will install pg once my Nettop repaired or replaced.

Thanks,  Paul