Re: minimum hardware requirements for small postgres db - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Wolfgang Keller
Subject Re: minimum hardware requirements for small postgres db
Date
List pgsql-novice
> Regarding yours and Gavin's recommendation I change to Linux, I have
> made such an investment in Windows ever since it overlayed DOS, use
> so many Windows dependant programs, it would be a major investment in
> time to start again in Linux.

You can run (almost) all Windows application on Linux using WINE. You
don't even need a Windows license for that and yes, it's legal. Besides,
some Linux distributions go a far way to "emulate" Windows
look-and-feel. I don't know whether they even try to emulate the
horrible cursor-animation-syndrome of Windows, however.

> I have monitored the progress of Linux, particularly Ubuntu over the
> decades,

Honestly, I wouldn't use Ubuntu.

> and sadly have always found some reason not to change.  I
> stopped using big desktops years ago due to travel needs, and read a
> big problem using Linux on new laptops/nettops was lack of Driver
> support from manufacturers ... causing lots of headaches.

For a resource-constrained Netbook, I would use a specific
netbook-distribution, these usually come with drivers supplied by the
hardware manufacturer. Wikipedia lists a few. Some manufacturers sell
their netbooks even with Linux pre-installed now.

> Recently, I read the change of 'Desktop' to Unity needs maturing. I
> do realise open-source encourages healthy creativity, and so
> diversity, but just the other week I read 'fragmentation' of Linux
> into so many flavours causes big problems supporting Apps.

Distributions come and go, some have been around for quite a while now.
Suse should have close to 20 years of age now, I think...

Sincerely,

Wolfgang