Re: POSTGRES/MYSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Nolan
Subject Re: POSTGRES/MYSQL
Date
Re: POSTGRES/MYSQL  (Gavin Flower <GavinFlower@archidevsys.co.nz>)
List pgsql-general

On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 6:32 AM Sonam Sharma <sonams1209@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi All,

We are planning to migrate our database into any open source DB.
Can someone please help me in knowing which one will be better among POSTGRESQL and MYSQL.

In what terms postgres is better than MYSQL.

Regards,
Sonam

There isn't a simple answer to this, it's like asking 'which is better for cooking:  aluminum or stainless steel'.  The answer is 'it depends on what you're trying to do'.i

There are things that PostgreSQL does very well.  There are things that MySQL does very well.  There are things that they don't do as well.

PostgreSQL is, IMHO, more robust and will handle larger databases.  MySQL is better at isolating users from each other and requires less expertise to administer.

Depending on your needs, the size of your organization and your budget, you may want to bring in outside consultants to help you plan.
--
Mike Nolan