Re: Major upgrade of PostgreSQL and MySQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: Major upgrade of PostgreSQL and MySQL
Date
Re: Major upgrade of PostgreSQL and MySQL  (Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
Patrick,

On Friday, September 13, 2013, Patrick Dung wrote:
>What?  That's absolutely *not* required for pg_upgrade to work.  In
>general, I would recommend that you make a copy of the database, but
>it's certainly not required.

I mean the old version and new version would need to take up disk space on the server.
Thus roughly doubled the disk space used.

And I'm telling you that pg_upgrade does NOT require that. It has a mode which allows an in-place upgrade (using hard links) that only requires a bit of extra disk space- certainly no where near double on a database of any size.

Thanks,

Stephen