Re: can we mark upper/lower/textlike functions leakproof? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jacob Champion
Subject Re: can we mark upper/lower/textlike functions leakproof?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Aug 1, 2024 at 7:26 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Are you proposing that we invent two levels of leakproofness
> with different guarantees?  That seems like a mess, not least
> because there are going to be varying opinions about where we
> should set the bar for the lower level.

It kind of reminds me of the kernel's "paranoia level" tunables, which
seem to proliferate in weird ways [1] and not make for a particularly
great UX.

--Jacob

[1] https://askubuntu.com/questions/1400874/what-does-perf-paranoia-level-four-do