Re: PostgreSQL advocacy - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: PostgreSQL advocacy
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 7:44 AM, Mark Morgan Lloyd
<markMLl.pgsql-general@telemetry.co.uk> wrote:
> If anybody puts together a "just the facts" document after Oracle's attack
> on PostgreSQL in Russia, please make sure it's drawn to the attention of
> this mailing list for the benefit of those who aren't in -advocacy.
>
> I was discussing this sort of thing elsewhere in the context of MS's
> apparent challenge to Oracle and IBM, and the dominant feeling appeared to
> be that actual use of things like Oracle RAC was vanishingly uncommon. Which
> surprised me, and which I'm treating with caution since the fact that
> facilities aren't used (in a certain population of developers etc.) can in
> no way be interpreted as meaning that the technology is not unavailable or
> unreliable.

I've submitted three different bug reports and had a patch within 48
hours each time. the responsiveness of this list, and the folks who
code PostgreSQL is far above any level of support I've ever gotten
from Oracle.

I once asked Oracle to please package the newest connection libs into
an RPM for RHEL5 and their response was "do it yourself."

Yeah, I know which database has REAL, USEFUL support for a DBA and it
isn't Oracle.