Re: [PERFORM] Speed differences between two servers - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: [PERFORM] Speed differences between two servers
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Tue, May 9, 2017 at 7:08 AM, Vincent Veyron <vv.lists@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> Well, the response to the ticket was quite fast :
>
> https://status.online.net/index.php?do=details&task_id=720
>
> Here's the stated cause :
>
>>Our tests have confirmed an issue caused by the fans of the power supplies installed in several chassis.
>
>>The fans create vibrations amplifying errors on the discs.
>
> Now on to decide whether I'm waiting for the fix or re-building a new box...
>
> Thanks a bunch for your help.

You're welcome, any time.

As for the hard drives, can you upgrade to a pair of SSDs? If your
data set fits on (and will continue to fit on) SSDs, the performance
gained from SSDs is HUGE and worth a few hundred extra for the drive.
Note that you want to use the Intel enterprise stuff that survives
power loss, not the cheap low end SSDs. May be an easy fix for your
hosting company and a big performance gain.