Re: PG Dump on 11 - Restore on 16 - is possible? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ron Johnson
Subject Re: PG Dump on 11 - Restore on 16 - is possible?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Aug 13, 2024 at 5:47 AM Durumdara <durumdara@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello!

We have to upgrade our server. The PG upgrade is impossible because of too much data.
So we will create a new server with PG 16, and we have to migrate the databases one by one (from a PG 11 server).

Is it possible?

Does PG16 read PG11 dumps and restore them correctly on the PG16 server?

"See Section 19.6 for general information on migrating to new major releases."

"Current releases of the dump programs can read data from any server version back to 9.2."

The major flaw in Section 19.6 is that it repeatedly says "use pg_dumpall", and only mentions pg_dump once.  Don't use pg_dumpall; use pg_dump in "directory mode" with multiple threads.  ("pg_dumpall --globals" is critical for roles and whatnot.)

This is how I recently migrated three multi-TB PG 9.6 RHEL6 servers to PG 14 on RHEL8.

--
Death to America, and butter sauce.
Iraq lobster!