Re: strange hot_standby behaviour - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jan Nielsen
Subject Re: strange hot_standby behaviour
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 11:43 AM, Andreas Pfotenhauer <pfote@ypsilon.net> wrote:
> OS is debian squeeze, pg installed is the latest 9.2.1 from
> pgapt.debian.net. Logs where checked, no errors/warnings at all. Query plans
> have been checked, no changes before/after. The changed behavior only
> manifested in the drop of the number of transactions/second executed and the
> massively increased load in the machine. No increased I/O or anything.
>
> Since A has been promoted to master, everything behaves like expected, the
> 9.2 outperformes the 9.0 easily, as expected.

It's not clear to me from your description if you're using stock PG
Hot Standby but, if you are, there is no support for Hot Standby
between different versions of PG; see the "What Can't You Do With
Binary Replication" section in the Binary Replication Tutorial on the
PG wiki [1].

[1] http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Binary_Replication_Tutorial#Hot_Standby