Re: Information about Access methods - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Rohit Goyal
Subject Re: Information about Access methods
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 2:42 AM, Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On 11/13/2013 06:36 AM, Rohit Goyal wrote:
> Hi,
> Thanks for document. It was really helpful.
> Now, as index folder contains basically interface for all index type, do
> I need to change it, if I want to modify only b tree index algorithm?
>
> Do I need to change only btree index files or Do i have to change index
> folder files like indexam.c

Without knowing what you are trying to do, it's really hard to answer
that usefully. In general if you want to modify b-tree indexes you'd
only have to modify the b-tree index implementation. If you want to add
new capabilities or features to the indexing system in general then use
them in b-tree, you'd probably also have to modify the access method
interface.

If you aren't just doing this for learning/research you should explain
in detail what you are trying to do. There is no point spending lots of
time creating a patch that would never get accepted into the PostgreSQL
core, so you have to maintain it forever more...

--
 Craig Ringer                   http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
Hi,

Thanks for update. Actually, I am doing it for learning. I want to modify B tree approach for insert and update operation to perform in a more faster way.
Could you please suggest something about abt update operation of B tree index.

Regards,
Rohit Goyal