Re: Deleting a table file does not raise an error when the table is touched afterwards, why? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Deleting a table file does not raise an error when the table is touched afterwards, why?
Date
In response to Deleting a table file does not raise an error when the table is touched afterwards, why?  (Daniel Westermann <daniel.westermann@dbi-services.com>)
List pgsql-general
On 30 May 2016 at 16:35, Daniel Westermann <daniel.westermann@dbi-services.com> wrote:
Then I delete the file:
No issue in the log. This is probably coming from the cache, isn't it? Is this intended and safe?

Postgres manages your data for you. What you're doing is not a supported use case and I recommend not to do that in the future.

Can someone please tell me the intention behind that? From my point of view this is dangerous. If nobody is monitoring the log (which sadly is the case in reality) nobody will notice that only parts of the table are there. Wouldn't it be much more safe to raise an error as soon as the table is touched?

How would we know that an external agent had deleted the file? What action should we take if we did notice?

It's a very good thing that we remain flying even with multiple bullet holes in the wings.