Re: Multi-column distinctness. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Multi-column distinctness.
Date
Re: Multi-column distinctness.  (Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi.kyotaro@lab.ntt.co.jp>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 28 August 2015 at 09:33, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi.kyotaro@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:

Tomas Vondra is now working on heavily-equipped multivariate
statistics for OLAP usage. In contrast, this is a lightly
implemented solution which calculates only the ratio between a
rows estimated by current method and a actual row number. I think
this doesn't conflict with his work except the grammar part.

I think it very obviously does conflict, so I don't see this patch as appropriate.

If you think a cut version of Tomas' patch is appropriate, then the usual response is to give a review that says "Tomas, I think a cut down version is appropriate here, can we reduce the scope of this patch for now?". If you have done that and he refuses to listen, then a separate patch version is appropriate. Otherwise we should just reject this second patchset to avoid confusion and to avoid encouraging people to take this approach.