Re: Multi-column distinctness. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tomas Vondra
Subject Re: Multi-column distinctness.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hello,

On 09/06/2015 10:24 AM, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On 28 August 2015 at 09:33, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI
> <horiguchi.kyotaro@lab.ntt.co.jp
> <mailto:horiguchi.kyotaro@lab.ntt.co.jp>> wrote:
>
>     Tomas Vondra is now working on heavily-equipped multivariate
>     statistics for OLAP usage. In contrast, this is a lightly
>     implemented solution which calculates only the ratio between a
>     rows estimated by current method and a actual row number. I think
>     this doesn't conflict with his work except the grammar part.
>

> I think it very obviously does conflict, so I don't see this patch as
> appropriate.
>
> If you think a cut version of Tomas' patch is appropriate, then the
> usual response is to give a review that says "Tomas, I think a cut down
> version is appropriate here, can we reduce the scope of this patch for
> now?". If you have done that and he refuses to listen, then a separate
> patch version is appropriate. Otherwise we should just reject this
> second patchset to avoid confusion and to avoid encouraging people to
> take this approach.

FWIW Horiguchi-san is one of the few people who actually took time to
review the multivariate stats patch, and I don't quite see this patch as
conflicting with the multivariate one.

It implements a small subset of the (much larger) multivariate stats
patch, and reusing it within my patch should not be a big deal.
Actually, this type of statistics was proposed by Horiguchi-san himself,
and the multivariate patch does not implement it yet (although I intend
to address that soon).

So no conflict here. Of course, we need to be a bit careful to make it
compatible (especially the syntax part).

kind regards

--
Tomas Vondra                   http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/