Re: [HACKERS] log_autovacuum_min_duration doesn't log VACUUMs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jeff Janes
Subject Re: [HACKERS] log_autovacuum_min_duration doesn't log VACUUMs
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 6:43 AM, Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On 2/10/17 03:38, Simon Riggs wrote:
> I guess its fairly obvious in the title, but
> log_autovacuum_min_duration doesn't log VACUUMs only autovacuums.
>
> What isn't obvious is why that restruction is useful.

Because there are already various tools available to log activity of
session processes, but there are no other ways to log the activity of
autovacuum.  Why are the existing settings not sufficient for this purpose?

I've pretty often been annoyed that the information provided by 'VACUUM VERBOSE' and the information provided by log_autovacuum_min_duration are so drastically different from each other.  It would be pretty nice to have some way to get the same information for both operations in the same format, although I don't know if this proposal is the best way of accomplishing it.

Cheers,

Jeff