Re: Segment best size - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jeff Janes
Subject Re: Segment best size
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Friday, April 12, 2013, Rodrigo Barboza wrote:
Hi guys.
I compiled my postrges server (9.1.4) with default segment size (16MB).
Should it be enough? Should I increase this size in compilation?

To recommend that you deviate from the defaults, we would have to know something about your server, or how you intend to use it.  But you haven't told us any of those things.  Is there something about your intended use of the server that made you wonder about this setting in particular?

Anyway, wal seg size is one of the last things I would worry about changing.  Also, I suspect non-default settings of that parameter get almost zero testing (either alpha, beta, or in the field), and so would consider it  mildly dangerous to deploy to production.

Cheers,

Jeff