Re: postgres 9.2 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff Janes
Subject Re: postgres 9.2
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 2:26 PM, pg noob <pgnube@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I recently ran a couple of tests where I took one of my production
> systems and did a drop-in replacement of postgres 8.4 with 9.2.4.
> I was expecting to see some performance improvement given the release
> notes describing 9.2 as a "largely performance related release".
>
> At least for my application, which is an embedded postgresql install
> with a relatively small number of client connections, I'm not seeing much
> of a measurable difference at all.

There were a bunch of different, specific, performance improvements
each with a focused area.  Many of them related to reducing contention
in many-CPU systems.  If your system wasn't having problems in the
specific areas that were improved, you wouldn't see an improvement.

Cheers,

Jeff