Re: postgres 9.2 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: postgres 9.2
Date
List pgsql-general
On 08/27/2013 02:26 PM, pg noob wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I recently ran a couple of tests where I took one of my production
> systems and did a drop-in replacement of postgres 8.4 with 9.2.4.
> I was expecting to see some performance improvement given the release
> notes describing 9.2 as a "largely performance related release".
>
> At least for my application, which is an embedded postgresql install
> with a relatively small number of client connections, I'm not seeing much
> of a measurable difference at all.
>
> I'm just wondering if others have had a similar experience where upgrading
> from 8.x to 9.x has or has not improved overall performance?

It would be easier to answer if you gave some information on what
performance you are measuring and what the results are?
Also remember there is an overhead incurred for all operations and for
small installations it is a bigger part of the total cost, so you will
not really gain on that.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com