Re: pg_ctl reload -o "...." - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jeff Janes
Subject Re: pg_ctl reload -o "...."
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 11:26 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@gmail.com> writes:
>> Is there a reason pg_ctl reload shouldn't honor -o ?
>
> -o means "pass these switches on the postmaster's command line".
> If you're not restarting the postmaster, you don't get to change
> its command line.

OK.  You see pg_ctl as a wrapper around postmaster, while I was
viewing it as a thing in itself.

> IMO setting stuff on the command line is pretty evil anyway.

I wouldn't do it in a production system, but it is invaluable for
performance testing during development or diagnosis.

Oh well, I guess this is what perl -i -pe is for.

Cheers,

Jeff