Re: pg_stat_activity - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff Janes
Subject Re: pg_stat_activity
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 12:00 PM, Bala Venkat <akpgeek@gmail.com> wrote:
We are using postgres 9.0.  When I looked at the pg_stat_activity table.

I have some rows where there is difference of 2 hours between  backend_start  and xact_start

But there is only few milli seconds between xact_start and query_start.

All them have wait as false.

My question is,  is the query still executing and also why would there be that much time difference between backend_start  and xact_start

Say I connect to the database, and then I go to lunch for 2 hours.  Then I come back and start a transaction.

Or, I connect to the database and run a two-hour query.  Then rollback/commit that, and I start another transaction.

To know the state of the query, look at the "current_query"  field.  (In newer versions, look in "state" field, but that is not in 9.0)

Cheers,

Jeff