Re: Regarding the shared disk fail over cluster configuration - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ondrej Ivanič
Subject Re: Regarding the shared disk fail over cluster configuration
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

On 31 October 2011 23:33, Debasis Mishra <debasis1982@gmail.com> wrote:
> RHEL HA clustering is configured to have zero downtime. So if primary server
> is down then HeartBeat will bring secondary server online.

By "RHEL HA clustering" do you mean RedHat cluster suite? RHCS uses
SIGTERM and then kill -9 after 30 sec(?) so it could be tricky to have
zero downtime

> 1. Do i need to install Postgres server in both  Primary and Secondary
> Server?

We have Postgres installation on both and SAN volume is mounted to
primary only (RHCS takes care about it). (I would use hot standby and
two data volumes now instead of shared disk)

> 2. According to the shared disk fail over concept the dbdata directory has
> to be shared. So is it like DB will be installed in both the server and
> dbdata directory will be in storage and both the database will be referring
> to the same data in storage?

yes, but you should mount $PGDATA (or RHCS) to active instance only.

--
Ondrej Ivanic
(ondrej.ivanic@gmail.com)