Re: Commitfest problems - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: Commitfest problems
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 1:07 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>> As far as I'm concerned, we might as well just have one commitfest per
>> major release.  Call it a patch list.  Make the list sortable by created
>> date and last-updated date, and let the system police itself.  At least
>> that's honest.
>
> Wow, that's radical, and interesting.

Agreed. I don't think it's radical, though - it's just acknowledging
the elephant in the room, which is that the commitfests in a given
cycle are not really distinct at all. I suspect that better tooling
had a lot to do with the success of commitfests, which is more or less
incidental to how they were originally conceived. There is still room
for improvement there.

I'd have to think about it some more, but I'd almost be ready to vote
for formalizing how things actually work in practice given the chance
(i.e. Voting to follow Peter's suggestion).

--
Peter Geoghegan