Re: Slicing TOAST - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: Slicing TOAST
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 11:47 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
<hlinnakangas@vmware.com> wrote:
> I've been thinking, we should already start collecting ideas for next year,
> and collect them throughout the year. I know I come up with some ideas every
> now and then, but when it's time for another GSoC, I can't remember any of
> them.

It seems like the PostgreSQL Wiki Todo list has a lot of deadwood. I
wouldn't tell a novice hacker to go and pick something from there.
Maintaining a list of good beginner projects is actually a pretty hard
undertaking.

One thing I've heard multiple times in the past is that the archetypal
beginner project is to add some feature to psql. Well, psql is fairly
feature complete these days, so finding something to do there that's
likely to be accepted is probably not that easy.

--
Peter Geoghegan