Re: GSoC 2014 - mentors, students and admins - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Greg Stark
Subject Re: GSoC 2014 - mentors, students and admins
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 5:34 PM, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
> Who would be up for mentoring this year?  And are there any project
> ideas folk would like to suggest?

I mentored in the past and felt I didn't do a very good job because I
didn't really understand the project the student was working on.

There's precisely one project that I feel I would be competent to
mentor at this point. Making hash indexes WAL recoverable. This is
something that's easy to define the scope of and easy to determine if
the student is on track and easy to measure when finished. It's
something where as far as I can tell all the mentor work will be
purely technical advice.

Also it's something the project really really needs and is perfectly
sized for a GSOC project IMHO. Also it's a great project for a student
who might be interested in working on Postgres in the future since it
requires learning all our idiosyncratic build and source conventions
but doesn't require huge or controversial architectural changes.

I fear a number of items in the Wiki seem unrealistically large
projects for GSOC IMNSHO.

--
greg