Re: GSoC 2014 - mentors, students and admins - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tan Tran
Subject Re: GSoC 2014 - mentors, students and admins
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi Greg, pgsql-advocacy, and pgsql-hackers,

I'm interested in doing my GSoC project on this idea. I'm new to indexing and WAL, which I haven't encountered in my classes, but it sounds interesting and valuable to Postgresql. So here's my draft proposal. Do you mind giving your opinion and corrections? With your help I'll add some technical detail to my plans.

Thanks,
Tan Tran

Introduction
In write-ahead logging (WAL), all modifications to a database are written to a write-ahead log before being flushed to disk at periodic checkpoints. This method saves I/O operations, enables a continuous backup, and, in the case of database failure, guarantees data integrity up until the last saved checkpoint. In Postgresql’s implementation, transactions are written to XLog, which is divided into 16MB files (“segments”) that together comprise a complete history of transactions. Transactions are continually appended to the latest segment, while checkpointing continually archives segments up until the last checkpoint. Internally, a suite of XLog structures and functions interfaces with the various resource managers so they can log a sufficient amount of data to restore data (“redo”) in case of failure.
Another Postgresql feature is the creation of indexes on a invariant custom field; for example, on the LastName of a Person even though the primary key is ID. These custom indexes speed up row lookup. Postgres currently supports four index types: B-tree, GiST, and GIN, and hash. Indexes on the former three are WAL-recoverable, but hashing is not.

2. Proposal
As a GSoC student, I will implement WAL recovery of hash indexes using the other index types’ WAL code as a guide. Roughly, I will:
- Devise a way to store and retrieve hashing data within the XLog data structures.
- In the existing skeleton for hash_redo(XLogRecPtr lsn, XLogRecord *record) in hash.c, branch to code for the various redo operations: creating an index, inserting into an index, deleting an index, and page operations (split, delete, update?).
- Code each branch by drawing on examples from btree_redo, gin_redo, and gist_redo, the existing XLog code of the other index types.

Benefits
Hash index searching is O(1), which is asymptotically faster than the O(n lg n) searching of a B-tree, and does not require custom indexing functions like GIN and GIST inherently do. Therefore it is desirable for rows that will only be retrieved on an equality or inequality relation. However, two things currently stand in the way of its popular use. From the Postgresql documentation,
“Hash index operations are not presently WAL-logged, so hash indexes might need to be rebuilt with REINDEX after a database crash if there were unwritten changes. Also, changes to hash indexes are not replicated over streaming or file-based replication after the initial base backup, so they give wrong answers to queries that subsequently use them. For these reasons, hash index use is presently discouraged.”
My project would solve the first problem, after which I would like to stay on and fix the second.

To be written: Quantifiable Results, Schedule, Completeness Criteria, Bio