Re: Sudden crazy high CPU usage - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Sergey Konoplev
Subject Re: Sudden crazy high CPU usage
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 3:25 AM, Niels Kristian Schjødt
<nielskristian@autouncle.com> wrote:
> I'm running postgresql 9.3 on a production server. An hour ago, out of the "blue", I ran into an issue I have never
encounteredbefore: my server started to use CPU as crazy. The server is a standard ubuntu 12.04 LTE installation
runningonly Postgres and Redis.

> The incident can be seen on the in numbers below:
>
> https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/autouncle-public/other/cpu.png

The increase doesn't look so sudden. My guess is that the server got
some new activity. The advice is to setup the statistics collecting
script by the link [1] and review the results for a period of hour or
so. It shows charts of statements by CPU/IO/calls with aggregated
stats, so you could probably find out more than with pure
pg_stat_statements.

[1] https://github.com/grayhemp/pgcookbook/blob/master/statement_statistics_collecting_and_reporting.md

--
Kind regards,
Sergey Konoplev

http://www.linkedin.com/in/grayhemp
+1 (415) 867-9984, +7 (901) 903-0499, +7 (988) 888-1979
gray.ru@gmail.com