Re: Sudden crazy high CPU usage - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Will Platnick
Subject Re: Sudden crazy high CPU usage
Date
List pgsql-performance

In New Relic, go back a half hour before the problem started so you can't see that this spike happened and send the same screenshot in. My guess is you have increased activity hitting the DB. Do you have pgbouncer or some kind of connection pooling sitting in front? 198 open server connections could account for an increase in load like you're seeing. Do you have postgresql addon in New Relic to show you how many queries are hitting the system to correlate data to?

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 1:36 PM, Sergey Konoplev <gray.ru@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 3:25 AM, Niels Kristian Schjødt
<nielskristian@autouncle.com> wrote:
> I'm running postgresql 9.3 on a production server. An hour ago, out of the "blue", I ran into an issue I have never encountered before: my server started to use CPU as crazy. The server is a standard ubuntu 12.04 LTE installation running only Postgres and Redis.
>
> The incident can be seen on the in numbers below:
>
> https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/autouncle-public/other/cpu.png

The increase doesn't look so sudden. My guess is that the server got
some new activity. The advice is to setup the statistics collecting
script by the link [1] and review the results for a period of hour or
so. It shows charts of statements by CPU/IO/calls with aggregated
stats, so you could probably find out more than with pure
pg_stat_statements.

[1] https://github.com/grayhemp/pgcookbook/blob/master/statement_statistics_collecting_and_reporting.md

--
Kind regards,
Sergey Konoplev

http://www.linkedin.com/in/grayhemp
+1 (415) 867-9984, +7 (901) 903-0499, +7 (988) 888-1979
gray.ru@gmail.com