New here: trouble getting postgres 9.3 running as service on windows 8.1 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Malik Rumi
Subject New here: trouble getting postgres 9.3 running as service on windows 8.1
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello to you all.

 I overcame the first errors I got about the TEMP environmental variable thanks to the info on the wiki. Then I got two warnings after install. 1) is that the adminpack did not install, and it asked if I was listening on the port. 2) was that I needed to check the conf.

A) I don’t know how I’ll fix this yet, - that's why I'm here - but once I do, how do I install the admin? Do I run the install again?

 B) I googled and found some posts insisting that I install on C:\postgres so as to avoid the spaces in the Windows path. But I used a windows installer with Program Files as the default. Surely the installer took the space issue into consideration, didn't it?

 C) “The postgres sql service started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs.”  How am I supposed to get it in use by another program if I can’t get it started?

 D) I found several posts that say postgres needs the secondary logon service to be running. Mine was not. I set it to automatic and then started postgres again but I got the same ‘started and stopped’ error message. What do I do now to get this going?

E) I have AVG Free, which the wiki says should not cause me any problems.

 F) The second error just says see the conf file, and then I found out there is no conf file yet. So am I safe in assuming that once I do create that (and the error log) that logging and conf issues will not be a problem?

thanks!