Re: PostgreSQL 9.3.2 Performance tuning for 32 GB server - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Kincaid
Subject Re: PostgreSQL 9.3.2 Performance tuning for 32 GB server
Date
List pgsql-performance

On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 8:55 AM, Julien Cigar <jcigar@ulb.ac.be> wrote:
On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 12:02:59PM +0530, RAMAKRISHNAN KANDASAMY wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have configured the blow parameters for a 32 GB server . I this correct ?
>
> shared_buffers = 6GB

going over 2GB probably doesn't help

That is true on 32 bit system. On a 64 bit system with 32GB of RAM, there is a lot of value to be potentially gained by having shared buffers significantly higher than 2GB.

It's considered as a bad habit to change the cost settings, but I often
raise the default cpu_tuple_cost to 0.08 (instead of 0.01) too.