Re: PostgreSQL 9.3.2 Performance tuning for 32 GB server - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Julien Cigar
Subject Re: PostgreSQL 9.3.2 Performance tuning for 32 GB server
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 12:02:59PM +0530, RAMAKRISHNAN KANDASAMY wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have configured the blow parameters for a 32 GB server . I this correct ?
>
> shared_buffers = 6GB

going over 2GB probably doesn't help

> work_mem = 24MB maintenance_work_mem = 250MB

work_mem depends a lot of your queries and the number of clients, but
with 32GB RAM setting a default work_mem of 128MB would probably not
hurt. Your maintenance_work_mem is too low, raise it to 2GB.

> effective_cache_size = 16GB

if it's a dedicated server you can raise it to 24GB

> shared_preload_libraries = 'pg_stat_statements' pg_stat_statements.max =
> 10000 pg_stat_statements.track = all
> wal_buffers = 8MB
> checkpoint_segments = 32

depends of your load, 10's reasonable for light loads. 50 or 100 isn't
uncommon for heavier ones. Keep in mind that every increase
of 30 will cost you 1 gigabyte of disk space in pg_xlog and an extra
~2-5 minutes (depends of your i/o) of recovery time after a crash.

> checkpoint_completion_target = 0.9

It's considered as a bad habit to change the cost settings, but I often
raise the default cpu_tuple_cost to 0.08 (instead of 0.01) too.