Re: [GENERAL] Help with restoring a dump in Tar format? (dependencies/ordering) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Help with restoring a dump in Tar format? (dependencies/ordering)
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Jun 5, 2017 at 5:59 PM, Ken Tanzer <ken.tanzer@gmail.com> wrote:
I can't really make this an FK.  I can (and probably will) put this into a trigger.  Although it seems like an extra layer of wrapping just to call a function.  I'm curious if there's any conceptual reason why constraints couldn't (as an option) be restored after all the data is loaded, and whether there would be any negative consequences of that?  I could see if your data still didn't pass the CHECKs, it's already loaded.  But the constraint could then be marked not valid?

Not sure why just know that if I stay within the guidelines it works, if I do not its does not work:)

That's fair enough, leaving aside the curiosity part.  Usually though the things you can't do just aren't allowed.  It's easier to overlook something that you shouldn't (but can) do!

​I find in life most things that are prohibited are actually doable - you're just punished if you get caught doing them.  In all seriousness though I agree it would be nice if that's how this worked; but decades of historical precedent makes actual preventive enforcement ​difficult if not impossible.

Since "test your backups" covers this potential problem, and so many possible others, any non-trivial effort to solve the actual problem is hard to justify spending time on.

I do get the "make \d show relevant information" argument and that is one that seems easier to solve, since adding explicit dependencies during trigger creation would be a purely new feature.

David J.