Re: 13 25.1.1 clarify "The dumps produced by pg_dump are relative to template0" - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: 13 25.1.1 clarify "The dumps produced by pg_dump are relative to template0"
Date
List pgsql-docs
On Thursday, September 16, 2021, PG Doc comments form <noreply@postgresql.org> wrote:

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/backup-dump.html

Unless one knows
that template0 and template1 start off identical the wording above is
confusing because it doesn't make sense why a modified template1 would
necessitate ensuring creation from template0.

It assumes you’ve read chapter 22 before reading chapter 25.  At most I’d splice in a hyperlink back to that discussion.  A sentence at most probably.

"The database dbname will not be created by this command, so you must create
it yourself from template0 before executing psql..."

If template0 and template1 start off the same *must* we create it from
template0 then?  This also confuses the statement above.

Yeah, the main flow and the “important” part are repetitive and could maybe be tweaked a bit.  But I don’t see anything wrong.  Sure, if one knows template1 is unchanged from template0 then accepting the defaults for create database works.  But its somewhat easier to just emphasize that when using create database in preparation for restoring a dump one “must” use template0, as that is definitely safe.

David J.