Re: Tutorial clarify - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: Tutorial clarify
Date
List pgsql-docs
On Wed, Aug 7, 2024 at 7:34 AM PG Doc comments form <noreply@postgresql.org> wrote:

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/16/tutorial-install.html

New and wanted to follow getting started docs but it seems it was written
for Unix. Would be nice if you built out the getting started docs for more
than Unix. whatever, no one probs reads this anymore. to the void you go!

Maybe 1% of the content is OS-specific and those pieces seem easily translatable to Windows as it's basically just writing a different path.  I'm not sure we'd turn down a patch that aimed to make things either more OS-agnostic or more OS-inclusive but yeah, we've current made the choice to keep things simple and just choose a single shell framework, the most common one, moreso now that WSL exists, to write in.

Frankly, I find it unlikely a Windows user is going to appreciate any command line based tutorial; but we are not going to go and write one for the official documentation that covers using a third-party graphical user interface as the client tool of choice.  Those third-parties, or the broader community, are expected to cater to that need if it exists.

David J.