Re: Tutorial clarify - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Tutorial clarify
Date
List pgsql-docs
> On Wed, Aug 7, 2024 at 7:34 AM PG Doc comments form <noreply@postgresql.org>
> wrote:
>> New and wanted to follow getting started docs but it seems it was written
>> for Unix. Would be nice if you built out the getting started docs for more
>> than Unix. whatever, no one probs reads this anymore. to the void you go!

> Maybe 1% of the content is OS-specific and those pieces seem easily
> translatable to Windows as it's basically just writing a different path.

Yeah, there's not that much that's environment-specific, but sadly
just about all of it is stuff a newbie has to deal with before writing
their first SQL command.  I'm not sure how we can make that better in
an environment-agnostic way though.  We are certainly not going to
provide N different sets of instructions trying to cover all the
popular packagings of Postgres: it would be a mess and would likely be
constantly out-of-date.  As you say, that's really the responsibility
of the packagers.

Perhaps we should make "1.1. Installation" refer more explicitly to
packager-supplied documentation?  And I wonder how many people reading
that really have a "site administrator" who is not them.  Even for
people running Unix/Linux, that text seems like it's making archaic
assumptions.

            regards, tom lane