Re: Website mailing list search enhancement idea - one result per thread - Mailing list pgsql-www

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: Website mailing list search enhancement idea - one result per thread
Date
List pgsql-www
On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 9:30 AM Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 2:17 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> When searching the mailing lists in advanced search mode we have list
> filtering, timeframe filtering (pretty coarse though) and then sorting
> mode.  For moderately long running threads a search term is going to return
> many messages from the same thread.  It would desirable to ask that only
> threads be shown and maybe how many individual messages in that thread
> matched.

+1, an option to do that would be handy.  No idea how hard it is ...

Should this replace the current interface, or do we want to make something like this a choice?

I would have it be a choice under the advanced search options with possibly an option on the search results page to "See thread results only".

David J.