Re: psql's commit df9f599b is not documented - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: psql's commit df9f599b is not documented
Date
List pgsql-docs
On Mon, Aug 2, 2021 at 4:10 PM Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
On Mon, Aug  2, 2021 at 03:31:15PM -0700, David G. Johnston wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 2, 2021 at 2:58 PM PG Doc comments form <noreply@postgresql.org>
> wrote:
>
>     quit and exit commands have been added to psql starting from psql 11
>     through
>     this commit df9f599b
>     https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commit;h=
>     df9f599bc6f14307252ac75ea1dc997310da5ba6
>     but it is not documented in psql documentation
>

> All documented commands begin with a backslash - and indeed \help and \quit are
> the official ways to get help and to quit psql.  While the others exist as a
> courtesy they are "unofficial" and thus we've chosen to not document them.

FYI, this was mentioned in the PG 11 release notes:

Yes, the OP pointed that out.  It seems inconsistent...either we should document the addition both in the release notes and the psql page proper, or neither. Documenting it only in the release notes seems like the worst possible combination (forgetting the release notes and adding it to the documentation proper at least makes it "official").

David J.