Re: psql's commit df9f599b is not documented - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: psql's commit df9f599b is not documented
Date
List pgsql-docs
On Mon, Aug  2, 2021 at 03:31:15PM -0700, David G. Johnston wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 2, 2021 at 2:58 PM PG Doc comments form <noreply@postgresql.org>
> wrote:
>
>     quit and exit commands have been added to psql starting from psql 11
>     through
>     this commit df9f599b
>     https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commit;h=
>     df9f599bc6f14307252ac75ea1dc997310da5ba6
>     but it is not documented in psql documentation
>

> All documented commands begin with a backslash - and indeed \help and \quit are
> the official ways to get help and to quit psql.  While the others exist as a
> courtesy they are "unofficial" and thus we've chosen to not document them.

FYI, this was mentioned in the PG 11 release notes:

       <para>
        exit <application>psql</application> when given with no prior input
        (Bruce Momjian)
       </para>

       <para>
        Also print hints about how to exit when <command>quit</command> and
        <command>exit</command> are used alone on a line while the input
        buffer is not empty.  Add a similar hint for <command>help</command>.
       </para>
      </listitem>