Re: Advantages page out of date - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Josh Kupershmidt
Subject Re: Advantages page out of date
Date
List pgsql-www
On 5/18/12, Joshua Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> No question.  It's not remotely the only page which is horribly out of date,
> either.
>
> Think you could write up replacement text for the page?

Sure. A quick fix (patch: advantages_quickfix.diff) would be to remove
just that line, and leave Hot stand-by covered by the entry for
'Replication'.

I think a better solution (patch: advantages_link_matrix.diff) would
be to simply link the user to the Feature Matrix, instead of trying to
summarize some arbitrary subset of those features under Technical
Features.

If we did want to keep something like the Technical Features section
around, I think its scope should be narrowed down to features which
are rare, nonexistent, or limited in our competitors. Support for
Unicode, sub-selects, views, etc. may have been cutting-edge features
back when that page was written, but is not such a draw these days.
Things like SP-GiST, KNN, per-transaction durability control, SSI,
SE-Postgres, transactional DDL, JSON and Range types, etc. along with
a summary of why they're better than our competitor implementations
would make for an interesting read IMO. But this kind of prose seems
like it'd be better suited for the wiki anyway... there's not already
a page like that, other than the comparisons against MySQL, is there?
I'd be happy to help start a page like that.

Josh

Attachment