Re: BUG #13741: vacuumdb does not accept valid password - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Haribabu Kommi
Subject Re: BUG #13741: vacuumdb does not accept valid password
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 6:39 AM,  <brown@fastmail.com> wrote:

> Bug reference:      13741
> Logged by:          Eric Brown
> Email address:      brown@fastmail.com
> PostgreSQL version: 9.5beta1
> Operating system:   CentOS 6.6
>
> I am trying to vacuum a database from a remote computer.  It appears that
> vacuumdb is not accepting my password, though psql connects just fine.
>
>______
> browne1@reslin3 ~/Desktop> vacuumdb -z -j 24 -h reslin1.enhnet.org -p 5433
>                                                       127
> vacuumdb: vacuuming database "browne1"
> Password:
> Password:
> Password:
> vacuumdb: could not connect to database browne1: FATAL:  password
> authentication failed for user "browne1"
> browne1@reslin3 ~/Desktop> psql -h reslin1.enhnet.org -p 5433
>                                                         1
> Password:
> psql (9.5beta1)
> Type "help" for help.
>
> browne1=#
> ______

No. vacuumdb is accepting your password correctly. But you gave the number
of client connections as 24, to connect all these 24 clients to the
database, it is requesting
the password to enter again.

you can try with vacuumb -z -j2 to verify the same.

I feel we need to accept the password once and reuse it for all client
connections.
Provided working password can be returned for that database.

Regards,
Hari Babu
Fujitsu Australia