Locale Issue - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Don Parris
Subject Locale Issue
Date
Re: Locale Issue  (Stuart Bishop <stuart@stuartbishop.net>)
List pgsql-general
Hi all,

When I install the Kubuntu (13.04) postgresql (9.1) packages, the default template1 encoding turns out to be ASCII, which is not really what I want.  My OS locale command reveals everything to be en_US.UTF-8, except for LC_ALL, which is left open.

I am guessing that my best bet is to change the locale settings of my OS in order to get postgresql server to use a UTF-8 locale setting from the system.  But which setting should I change?

I did run pg_dropcluster, pg_createcluster (setting locale to C.UTF8) - and that seemed to work, except that I could not thereafter make remote connections (despite resetting the hba and postgres.conf files as they should be).

Thanks!
Don
--
D.C. Parris, FMP, Linux+, ESL Certificate
Minister, Security/FM Coordinator, Free Software Advocate