Re: postgresql-10.3 on unbuntu-17.10 - how?? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Vincenzo Romano
Subject Re: postgresql-10.3 on unbuntu-17.10 - how??
Date
List pgsql-general
> On 03/20/2018 10:52 PM, Stuart McGraw wrote:
> Looks like these posts are coming through a news group to me.
> I am Ccing list to get response back there.

>>> 18.04 LTS (Bionic Beaver)?:
>>>
>>> http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/dists/bionic-pgdg/
>>

>> I tried doing a full reinstall of Ubuntu-17.10 followed by a postgresql
>> install from the bionic repo (instead of installing 10.1 per above and
>> trying to upgrade)
>>
>>    # apt-get -qy install postgresql postgresql-client postgresql-contrib \
>>        postgresql-doc pgadmin3 postgresql-server-dev-10 libpq-dev
>>    Reading package lists...
>>    Building dependency tree...
>>    Reading state information...
>>     Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
>>    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
>>    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
>>    or been moved out of Incoming.
>>    The following information may help to resolve the situation:
>>
>>    The following packages have unmet dependencies:
>>     libpq-dev : Depends: libpq5 (= 10.3-1.pgdg18.04+1) but it is not going
>> to be installed
>>     pgadmin3 : Depends: libgcrypt20 (>= 1.8.0) but 1.7.8-2ubuntu1 is to be
>> installed
>>                Depends: libpq5 (>= 8.4~) but it is not going to be
>> installed
>>                Recommends: pgagent but it is not going to be installed
>>     postgresql : Depends: postgresql-10 but it is not going to be
>> installed
>>     postgresql-client : Depends: postgresql-client-10
>>     postgresql-contrib : Depends: postgresql-contrib-10
>>    E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
>

> If it where me I would simplify the above for the moment to :
>
> apt-get install postgresql-10
>

>> Is there any reason now not to conclude that the 10.3 bionic version is
>> simply incompatible with Ubuntu-17.10 (at least without a lot more package
>> wrangling chops than I have)?
>>
>> One can install postgresql-10.1 but one cannot upgrade it to get security
>> fixes or to be able to load data dumped from another 10.3 database.
>>
>> Given that Ubuntu-18.04 will be out soon I guess this is pretty much moot
>> except for a few unfortunates like me who absolutely need 10.3 but have no
>> option to upgrade.  I guess the lesson is that running the Pgdg versions
>> of Postgresql on any but the LTS versions of Ubuntu is pretty risky.
>> Live and learn.  Maybe this will help someone else.

I have followed more than once the exact directions from the download page:

https://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/ubuntu/

Just pretend you are running 17.10 instead of 17.04.

It simply works.

--
Vincenzo Romano - NotOrAnd.IT
Information Technologies